NIJAC will be advertising for the following judicial offices in late 2019: *Please see below for forthcoming opportunities in 2020
- District Judge x 1
- Review Tribunal (currently the Mental Health Review Tribunal) Experienced Members x 10 + reserve list
From 2 December 2019 the tribunal, previously known as the Mental Health Review Tribunal (MHRT) will have increased responsibilities and will be called the Review Tribunal.
The tribunal will retain its existing jurisdiction under the Mental Health (Northern Ireland) Order 1986 (as amended) and will continue to hear applications made by patients or their relatives for discharge from compulsory detention in psychiatric hospitals or from compulsory guardianship and to review the authority for detention of patients whose cases have been referred.
The Review Tribunal will, in addition, have responsibility for hearing appeals against authorisations of Deprivation of Liberty (DoL) by HSC Trusts and the appointment or removal of nominated persons under the Mental Capacity (NI) Act 2016.
The following links provide useful information in respect of the Mental Capacity (NI) Act 2016 which may be of interest to potential applicants for these schemes:
- Department of Health Guidance on the Mental Capacity Act 2016: https://www.healthni.gov.uk/mca(external link opens in a new window / tab)
- Department of Health Guidance on the Mental Capacity Act 2016 Scenarios: https://www.healthni.gov.uk/sites/default/files/publications/health/mca-scenarios.pdf
NIJAC will be advertising for the following judicial offices in 2020:
- Care Tribunal Chairman x1 + reserve list
- Criminal Injuries Compensation Appeals Panel Adjudicator (Medical) x1+ reserve list
To learn more about the above judicial offices visit the Northern Ireland Courts and Tribunals Service’s website www.courtsni.gov.uk
NIJAC also suggest you consider the Judicial Shadowing Scheme as a means of researching the legal, medical and valuer offices; Further Information is available here.
To keep informed about all forthcoming Judicial vacancies Register for E-news